Saturday, July 7, 2012

Kigale Rwanda and a visit to the Hotel Rwanda

GENOCIDE This is a tragic story that happened here in 1994, 900,000 people were murdered on the streets of Kigale. I visited the Genocide museum here yesterday and it was quite humbling....rather than me writing about what I have seen I would reccomend that you Google Rwanda Genocide and you will get far more information than I will be able to write on this blog. Men, Woman and children were slaughtered here for no apparent reason other than the fact that they belonged to the wrong tribe. The museum has skulls and bones of human beings who were mutalated men woman and children alike. Now going back to Kibale I met an English lady in a coffee shop and she told us that she was a volunteer teacher here for three years. During her time here when she is not doing her normal day job she is trying to make a difference in other ways a few of these differences I would like to outline. 1.For a 200 dollar donation she had shelves made to form a Library in a local school. 2. For a 1500 dollar donation she supplied -( matresses to an orphanage for the disabled children apparently if you are in any way disabled here society just leaves you by the wayside: 3. For another 1500 dollar donation she was able to have sixty one desks built locally providing employment for people so that the children would not have to sit on the floor in school. Her latest project is to try to raise 12500 dollars to put Solar electricity in 31 schools this will not only be a benefit for the school but it will be a gathering place in the evening for all in the villages at the moment when it gets dark all that the people do is go to sleep. Unemployment here is very high and a teacher earns 30 dollars a month. With all my travelling around the world I have never seen a country so desperately in need of help in my life. When I get home I would like to try to raise some money for this Lady who is doing such an incredible job of making a difference here in Rwanda. Tomorrow I am flying back to Entebbe in Uganda the road was awful on the way here and I cant face it again on the way back:

No comments:

Post a Comment