Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe

I am now in Zimbabwe and will be here for the next two weeks. I am at Victoria Falls Village. I have seen the spray but as yet I have not visited the falls. When I do, I will attempt to post some pics.
We have all sent our Passports back to England to get our Ethiopian Visas. Hopefully, they will be back in two weeks time when we head to Mozambique.
We crossed the Zimbabwe Border and within 100yards of the border we started seeing elephant at the side of the road. We have been so spoiled with our game veiwing we dont stop for zebra, elephant and giraffe anymore. There are just so many animals to see we would be stopping all day.
Our truck "NOLA" is not feeling well and with 1,289,000 miles on the speedometer you can't blame her. She had a blowout a few days ago and now she is struggling to get up the hills of Zimbabwe which seem a lot steeper than we have been encountering in other countries.
We leave here in three days time for Bulawayo and then on to Harare and then we bounce around all over Zim waiting for the passports to come back..
Here all the street vendors are trying to sell their old currency, Zimbabwe Dollars. Some of the notes are $50 Billion Dollars. Inflation went crazy here a few years ago and they just had to abandon the currency. Tshe currency they now use is US Dollars. I will buy a few of these notes as souvenirs.
The trip is going fine. We do quite a bit of Bush Camping which is not my favorite as you have no facilities and you get very dirty, especially if you Bush Camp two or three days in a row. For the next three nights, I have upgraded to a chalet with no facilities but at least I have a nice warm bed and a hot shower about 50 yards away.
There is massive poverty here and it is very sad. It makes me very thankful for my own privileged lifestyle.
The weather up to now has been fantastic during the day and quite cold or freezing at night. I have had to sleep with a hat on and all my clothes on more than one occasion. Sitting in the back of the truck with no window makes it cold, hot and dusty all at the same time 
I will when I get some decent internet attempt to post some pics to the blog.
That's it for today from Vic Falls....

2 comments: